Getting a sunburn can throw off your beauty routine – and can also be quite painful! When lying on the beach or by the pool it's important that you use enough sunblock (SPF 30 or higher). In fact, most dermatologists actually recommend using sunscreen every day – even when the sun is not shining. If you missed a few spots and are now experiencing a burn, here are a few tips to soothe your skin:
- Apply aloe vera: Aloe vera is one of the best remedies for a painful sunburn. The key is to chill this lotion – either in a bucket of ice or in the refrigerator – so that it's nice and cool when you apply it to your skin.
- Brew tea: A trick to soothe irritated skin is to brew a pot of black tea. Once the tea is brewed, cool it off in the refrigerator and use a small washcloth to soak you skin with it. The tea can help bring the heat out of the burn and therefore minimize the pain.
- Buy some Greek yogurt: If you don't eat Greek yogurt for breakfast, head to your local grocery store to pick some up. Plain yogurt contains probiotics and can be applied to your skin topically if you have a burn or similar irritation. Lather cooled yogurt liberally on your skin for some relief.
- Soak in an oatmeal bath: If you ever had chicken pox as a kid, your mom or dad probably ran you an oatmeal bath. Oatmeal has all-natural soothing properties. You can purchase colloidal oatmeal at your drug store, or make a homemade mixture. Simply grind a cup of old-fashioned oatmeal in the blender or food processor and then pour these grinds into a bath of lukewarm water. Just be careful that the tub water isn't too hot because this can further aggravate a burn!
- Use a milk-based lotion: "The fats and protein in milk can soothe a sunburn by creating a protective film over the skin, but if you're not into the idea of soaking your body in a bath full of milk, try a milk-based lotion instead," writes a blogger for Cosmopolitan. "It's important to keep your skin hydrated during this period and the use of a milk-based body lotion is a good way to do so."
For more beauty tips, be sure to follow our blog or book an appointment at On Stage Hair Design & Day Spa. Whether you're in need of makeup application, eyebrow waxing, or a new haircut, our expert stylists can help you look and feel your very best!